Saturday, March 31, 2012

back in AC




Those of you who regularly follow this blog (all three of you) know that I am back in France, painting. And this morning, I was also back in Auzay - one of my favorite endroits on this earth. It was early and I was running. But at the river I stopped and walked across the footbridge comme d'habitude. Two reasons for that. One - the bridge is a little rickety. Two - I wanted to linger and gaze at the lovely river, the little valley it is in, and the old pink house which seems to be under a much more graceful renovation than I feared the last time I was here (see blog posts some time in the fall of 2010). I was looking downstream when out from under the hanging tree branches came not one but two gloriously chubby swans. They swam right under where I stood on the footbridge but my camera was doing something peculiar so I couldn't get the shots I wanted, but above are those I managed to take. In general, it was really quite a red letter day in the fauna department. On the way down to the passerelle, I saw dozens of fat jack rabbits - so fat, in fact, that when they crossed the road in front of me, I thought they were small deer. Then, as I walked back home towards AC what should I see but three - count-em- three blue herons lifting off from a pond up on the hill! The only sad piece of news is that Fripon the donkey was not in his pasture. The last time he went missing it turned out that he was off seeing a lady donkey. So let's hope that is where he is right now!

No comments: