Friday, December 30, 2011

End of the year





It was an absolutely gorgeous afternoon in Central Park today and the crowds were out in number! Apart from the nice days when runners pretty much line the reservoir, I don't think I have ever seen so many people on the track. Most of them were foreign - here for New Year's Eve, no doubt. ( Don't know why I felt the need to capitalize that, but I did.) Among the languages I heard were Japanese, Spanish, French, Russian, German and several dialects of the mother tongue. Something else I noticed was the ubiquity of the puffy coat. Maybe it has even replaced the sneaker or running shoe as the world's most popular garment and I am not exactly sure why. Yes, they are warm and light in weight and though good ones are costly, you can also buy them very cheaply - but by and large, they are anything but flattering. In fact, though I took a bunch of pictures of people wearing various lengths and colors of the jacket, I couldn't bring myself to include them because, apart from the three cute little teens I snapped near the pump house, nobody looked good wearing one of them. I loved the dogs and the beautiful sky, but my prize today goes to the girl in pink. No ski jacket for her, no way!

No comments: